Nick Pontis resigned as president of the Canadian Soccer Association on Tuesday. The 53-year-old director has taken his decisions after a row over cuts and imbalances between the national men’s and women’s teams.
“I recognize that change is needed,” Pontis says in a statement, in which she strongly advocates equalizing conditions for women and men. “But unfortunately when the time comes I will no longer be leading the union.”
Canadian soccer players have long been dissatisfied with the union’s policies over budget cuts, arrears and unequal treatment compared to their male counterparts.
In preparation for the upcoming World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, footballers asked for the money men received ahead of last year’s World Cup. The Canadian federation did not respond to requests from the women’s team, one of the favorites to win the world title as Olympic champions.
Canadian soccer players went on strike
Canada’s recent participation in the SheBelives Cup, a women’s tournament in the United States, was met with protest. In the game against the USA, the players wore purple shirts: enough during the national anthem.
Captain Christine Sinclair told the Canadian Sports Channel earlier this month D.S.N That the players will strike until a solution is reached. “It hurts, I won’t lie about it. We all represent this country with pride, but it’s hard not to feel supported by your own union,” said the 319-times international. “I can’t represent until this union is resolved. My heart breaks.”
The Canadian men’s team rallied behind their female counterparts. Six months before the start of the World Cup in Qatar, they missed out on a friendly against Panama. They demanded more professionalism and asked for more bonuses.
“Web specialist. Pop culture buff. Thinker. Foodaholic. Travel maven. Avid coffee junkie. Amateur tv advocate.”