Last night, Britain’s Prince William presented the first ever Earthshot Prize, an environmental award he created. Presented the Milan Award for Doing All They Can to Prevent Food Waste. Projects such as reclaiming coral reefs in Australia and deforestation in Costa Rica.
The awards were presented at a special ceremony in London attended by William and his wife Catherine. The prize winners departed with 1 million British pounds (1.19 million euros).
‘Destiny of the Mankind’
The British prince looks back on the first twenty years of this century. “We are living in a time that will determine the fate of mankind,” he said. “What we do now or will not do is crucial for our planet’s next thousand years.”
According to William, not all is lost. Solve the Unsolvable ‘Mankind has proven itself before in history. The prince wants to present the prize annually for the next ten years, with five projects each to receive 1 million and continue to design their project.
“But we all need it. Only if we are together can our planet be restored,” Prince said at the event. “Determining the future is ours. If we are truly committed to it, nothing is possible.”
Five awards in various categories were presented by several celebrities, including Liverpool footballer Mo Salah and actress Emma Thompson. Catherine also presented a gift. There were also performances by Gold Play, Yemi Alade, Shawn Mendes and Ed Sheeran.
- Milan won the prize for its food waste mills. In it, more usable food is extracted from the waste and then distributed to the city’s poor.
- Costa Rica has received awards for its projects in which the government helps citizens plant trees and restore ecosystems.
- The Indian company Thaksin won for developing a portable machine that converts agricultural waste into compost so that farmers do not burn this waste, thus causing air pollution.
- The Bahamas-based Coral Vita system won for a project to grow coral in special water tanks, fifty times faster than normally growing coral.
- The joint Thai-German-Italian team won with the AEM Electrolyser project. It uses renewable energy to generate hydrogen. Hydrogen is a clean gas, but is usually produced by burning fossil fuels.
Next year, the Earthshot Prize will be awarded by the United States. This was announced by Prince William at the end of the show.
“Web specialist. Pop culture buff. Thinker. Foodaholic. Travel maven. Avid coffee junkie. Amateur tv advocate.”