Winter is the best season for planting. Brussels Mobility is taking the opportunity to place an additional 1,150 trees along the roads and continue its greening program for public spaces.
1,150 trees will be planted this fall and winter in addition to the nearly 35,000 trees already standing along regional roads in Brussels. For example, workers are busy planting around 150 trees along the Bourgetlaan, between Jules Bordetlaan and the provincial border, 90 along the Bergensesteenweg, 90 along the Ring …
Elke van den Brant, Minister of Transportation and Public Works: “Green makes us happy and keeps us healthy. This year we offer an additional 2 million euros to replace the gray in the city with green. There are many possibilities: more trees in the streets, squares with trees, pocket gardens … Our big project consists of assembling all these small projects to smooth out our streets and plant them on a large scale. “
In addition to these farms, Brussels Mobility has implemented several local projects since the fall of 2020 that increase the water permeability of the soil and improve rainwater runoff management.
“I am happy with these new plantations, which are essential to combat global warming on our scale and improve the quality of life for all residents of Brussels. Trees contribute to natural cooling, which reduces air to 8 ° C in heat waves. It can cool down. Water management. This makes accommodation in Brussels.” Brussels is more fun. Our ambition is to continue this session so that all Brussels residents can reconnect with nature, “added Environment Minister Alain Maron.
Some recent projects:
- Koninginnelaan, Van Praetlaan, René Henrysquare: Dolomie at the foot of trees replaced by land and low-growing plants;
- Jamblinne de Meuxplein: planting shrubs, transferring the fertilization area, hardening pathways;
- Monolith rotor (Stallelaan) and Staccioli (Vorsterielaan) rotor: replacing cobblestones with soil and plants.
Other projects currently under implementation or soon to start:
- Van Volxemlaan: Widen planting openings and loosen sidewalks;
- Busartlan: planting traffic islands;
- Polyolan: gravel gravel part of the central reserve (130 m²);
- Mettewielaan: expansion of 20 planting holes and planting perennials;
- Edmond Van Nieuwenhuyselaan (side of Demey metro station): small garden design.
Frans Van Kalkenlaan is a good example of greening. Until the end of February, interventions are planned to loosen a total area of 1,100 square meters in order to improve tree growth conditions, increase the permeable area and its preparation and improve biodiversity. A long green strip connecting the tree planting pits separates the cycle path from the road and there will be a large triangular edge with the plants.
“This space will be transformed into a waterproofing zone with the help of an innovative system to counter stones that collect rainwater for the plants,” adds Emmanuelle Ghilain of the Plantations unit at Brussels Mobility.
“Twitter junkie. Lifelong communicator. Award-winning analyst. Subtly charming internetaholic.”